Road Traffic Accident Claims in Ireland: What You Need to Know

If you have been involved in a road traffic accident (RTA), you are probably feeling confused and overwhelmed. Your life has been turned upside down by the incident, and your health and well-being may be compromised as a result of your injuries. One thing that can help is to make sure that the responsible party pays for any damages caused by their actions. Unfortunately, this is not always straightforward because there are many procedural requirements for RTA claims in Ireland. Here at Let’s Talk Claims, we aim to help our clients understand exactly how they can go about making an RTA claim with our expert guides on everything from what constitutes an RTA to what happens when it comes time to present evidence in court.

What is a Road Traffic Accident (RTA)?

A Road Traffic accident solicitor  (RTA) is a collision between two or more vehicles, or between a vehicle and a pedestrian, cyclist or animal. RTA’s are also known as motor accidents or car accidents. They’re a common occurrence in Ireland, with over 60,000 reported each year by the Gardai (the Irish police force).

A person who has been injured in an RTA may be able to make a claim for compensation from their insurer if the accident was not their fault.

Who Can Claim Compensation?

In order to make a claim for compensation, you must be able to prove that you were injured in an accident. If you have been injured in an accident, there are three main ways to get your compensation:

  • By making a personal injury claim against the person who caused the accident (the defendant). This means that they will have to pay for all of your medical bills and other losses as well as any future losses (such as loss of earnings).
  • By claiming from the Motor Insurers Bureau or MIB. The MIB is responsible for paying out compensation when no one else will pay it, such as when someone has died because of another driver’s negligence but their family doesn’t have enough money left over after death expenses have been paid out by life insurance companies etc., then this type of insurance could help them get some money back through claiming against th…

What Happens if the Other Driver is Not at Fault?

If you are involved in a road traffic accident that was not your fault, you can still claim compensation. You will need to make a claim against the insurance company of the person who caused the accident. This is known as third party liability and is usually quite straightforward to establish because there will be witnesses who saw what happened and police reports documenting how it occurred. The insurer may also have CCTV footage from nearby cameras which can help establish liability too.

Once they know they’re liable for damages caused by their driver, most insurers will offer some form of settlement without going through court proceedings – this means that you won’t have to attend court or give evidence against them! However if no agreement can be reached between yourself and the other party’s insurer then it might be worth getting legal advice before proceeding with any further action (see below).

How to Start an RTA Claim in Ireland

If you have been involved in an RTA, it’s best to go directly to the local garda station and report the incident. They will issue a certificate of liability which you can then take to your solicitor (lawyer). The solicitor will help you with the claim process and ensure that all necessary paperwork is completed correctly.

The Claims Process

The claims process is not complicated. The insurance company will investigate the accident and try to settle your claim with you, but if you do not agree on a settlement, it will go to court. You can also make a counter offer at any time during this process if you feel that it is necessary or fair for you.

The most important thing is understanding what exactly happened in your accident so that you are prepared when dealing with an insurance company or court proceedings later on down the line – especially if there were any witnesses around who could help corroborate your story!

The Importance of Expert Witness Reports in an RTA Claim

Expert witness reports are an important part of any road traffic accident claim. They’re written by a professional who is an expert in the field, such as a doctor or engineer. Expert witnesses use their expertise to prove that your injury was caused by another party, and that you were in fact injured as a result of their negligence.

The value of expert witness reports cannot be understated when it comes to making sure you get the compensation you deserve for your injuries sustained during an RTA (road traffic accident). If you want an idea about how much money these reports can bring into play during litigation proceedings, then read on!

You can make money from road traffic accidents by filing a claim against the responsible party.

If you’re involved in a road traffic accident, and the other party is at fault, then you can make money from the accident by filing a claim against them. If your injuries are severe enough, it may be worth hiring an attorney to handle this for you.

If both parties were partially responsible for causing the accident (for example if one driver ran into another), then both parties must pay out of pocket for their own medical bills and property damage caused by the accident.


We hope that this blog post has given you a better understanding of how to file a road traffic accident claim in Ireland. If you’re still not sure what to do, or if you have any questions about the process, contact us today!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *