Irish whiskey is one of the most popular spirits in the world, and for good reason. Irish whiskeys are a delicious blend of history and tradition, with each serving up its own distinct taste profile. The best Irish whiskeys are smooth and flavorful, perfect for sipping neat or on the rocks. If you’re looking to try some great new Irish whiskies but aren’t sure where to start, this guide will help! We’ve covered everything from history lessons to how-tos on buying great products.
What is Irish Whiskey?
Buy Irish Whiskey is a distilled beverage composed primarily of water and ethanol, sometimes with traces of rye, wheat, barley or corn. It’s distilled three times and aged in oak barrels for at least three years.
You’ll notice that our definition of ‘Irish Whiskey’ is very different than yours: it isn’t the same as Scotch Whisky (which must be made in Scotland) or American Bourbon (which must be made in America). In fact, many Irish whiskeys are produced outside of Ireland–the majority of them actually come from Scotland! However, there are several that are still produced within Ireland’s borders–and they’re every bit as delicious as their Scottish counterparts.
The History of Irish Whiskey
Irish Whiskey is a type of whiskey made in Ireland. It’s made from malted and unmalted barley, which is then distilled twice before being aged in wooden casks for at least three years. The name comes from the fact that it was originally produced by Irish distillers who were prohibited from exporting their product due to British trade laws until 1782–you can still find many distilleries today located along the River Shannon, which runs through County Clare (and can be seen below).
Irish Whiskey follows stricter guidelines than other types: it must be distilled at a minimum of 40% ABV (or 80 proof), matured in wooden casks for at least three years, bottled at no less than 40% ABV (80 proof) again before leaving the warehouse where it was produced, and finally bottled with an age statement on its label if it’s older than 4 years old; otherwise there must be no mention of age on any bottle whatsoever!
The Best Irish Whiskeys to Buy
- Bushmills Black Bush
- Midleton Very Rare
- Powers Signature Release: This is a great whiskey for those who are new to Irish whiskey, as it has a lot of flavor but isn’t too intense. It’s made in Cork and aged for at least 6 years in bourbon casks, giving it notes of vanilla and caramel with an underlying sweetness. It also comes in port cask-finished varieties if that’s more your thing!
- Tullamore Dew Phoenix: This 10-year-old single pot still whiskey starts off with lots of spice and citrus before mellowing out into honeyed fruit notes on the finish–a great combination for those who like their drinks strong but smooth enough not to burn away any pleasantries along with all that heat!
You can still find great products.
- Irish whiskey is a great option for anyone looking for a smooth drink.
- You can find great Irish whiskey in any liquor store, or you can buy it online if you don’t have one nearby.
- You don’t have to spend a lot of money to get a good quality drink; there are many options available at all price points!
If you’re looking for a great Irish whiskey, there are still plenty of options out there. You just need to know where to look!